Animated Banner

Photobucket

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Am I Going Overboard???

Alright ladies, tell me in your honest opinion, am I going overboard?

The situation is, my husband thinks I'm crazy and that it isn't necessary as Dakota is too little to understand or care about books. The daycare that we chose to enroll him in is partnered with the Southeast Kansas Headstart program (we don't qualify for Headstart as we make too much money), but you still get some of the benefits. One of the primary benefits in my opinion, is that since it is a preschool as well, we receive the monthly Honeybee Scholastic Book Order catalogs.

We received the first catalog last month, and should continue to receive them monthly. I went ahead and placed an order for a few of the "educational books". Things like numbers, letters, colors and several short books that are "touch & feel". I'm reading them to him, even though he doesn't understand or care, and on the touch & feel I run his finger/hand over the textures. My reason (in my own mind), is that I love books, but I didn't always, and I want my son to have a love of books and reading (prior to getting into school). I also want him to have a variety of books or his own little "library" that he can choose from as his love of books grows as he gets older.

So, my husband believes it's a waste of time to read to him at this age, but I don't see it that way at all. In my opinion, it's not hurting anything, and it is just another thing we can do together. Therefore, in your honest opinion, should I put it all off for a while, or continue on as I have been? How early did you start reading to your kids? Even if they don't understand, what does it hurt? In short, am I going overboard in reading to my son while he's this young?

You can be honest, if I'm nuts, just say so!!!

1 comment:

Corin said...

We started reading to Levi really early and now that he has an opinion he loves books. You know I think part of what he likes his the snuggle time with mom and dad while we read to him. But he definetly started having favorites at an early age. I think it can only help so why not. I mean touch and feel books can help him with starting to learn and experience. We had some great black and white books that Levi really liked staring at when he was little. And those books help kids eyes learn to focus. In short, I'm with you Amy. Sure he won't understand but hearing a variety of words is good and it helps him with sensory skills as well.