Animated Banner

Photobucket

Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Necessary Evil...

I can't begin to tell you how much I'm dreading this afternoon. I'm leaving work at 1:45 today so that I can drive out to daycare (20-30 minutes away) and pick my son up and bring him back to town (another 20-30 minutes) for his 2-month appointment with his pediatrician where he will be weighed, measured and given his next 4 shots.

I know that these immunizations are necessary and that its in their best interest to get them vaccinated, but at the same time you just can't help but feel really terrible to make them go through it. Shots don't bother me at all, so if I could, I would get them all for him. What's sad about the whole situation in my opinion, is that I know oh so many adults that are absolutely terrified at getting a shot (I mean they are really babies about the whole deal - no pun intended), and most of them are only getting 1 shot. Yet these poor little guys (or girls) have to suffer by getting multiple injections (in places close together) all in the same day. How is that fair?

I just hope my little guy handles them alright and that they don't give him much trouble. I make sure to always give him a dose of Tylenol before we go, so that it has time to kick in and work prior to him getting the shots (kind of as a preventative measure). Then if needed, follow-up with an additional dose later on. He didn't have any problems with his 1-month shot, but it was only the 1 shot. I hope the same can be said when we get the 4. I guess we'll see!

Oh well, I've got that off my chest now. Sorry for boring you if you read clear through to the end.

1 comment:

Corin said...

Hope he handles his shots well. I agree it totally sucks to stand by and watch someone hurt your baby, but he'll be a healthier boy because of it. Lots of extra squeezes and he'll be fine.