Animated Banner

Photobucket

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Do All Men Think Women Are Maids???

Yes, this is an honest question. Do all men live with the belief that women are maids? Fair warning, this is my chance to rant/rave or just blow off some steam, so if you don't want to hear it, I suggest you leave now.

Well, you had your chance, so here goes.

I don't know if most men live with this belief, or if it is just my husband. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, but sometimes I could just strangle him for his indifferent attitude. I usually get no help whatsoever around the house, and that just irks me to no end. One, I
hate cleaning house, and yes, I know there are many women out there that love that particular task/chore, but I am not one of them, never have been, probably never will be; two, I hate the fact that he seems to live under the assumption that the house cleaning is automatically my responsibility. I didn't make the mess myself, why should I be expected to clean it up? Not to mention, when I do decide to clean (which isn't very often), I no sooner get a room cleaned up, then he comes in and drops something down like it is his god-given right. I tell him to pick it up, that it doesn't belong there, and I get that standard line "I'll get it later", but later never makes an appearance in our case. I know it probably isn't right, but mainly for that reason, I have no interest in cleaning, because I know it isn't going to do any good, and that it isn't appreciated anyway. For that reason, our house looks like a tornado went thru it.

I know we can't continue on with the situation the way it is, we obviously need a house that is clean and in order prior to the baby getting here this summer, and I can't/won't continue to carry it all by myself. I know that the nesting instinct is supposed to eventually kick in, and I should want to clean everything in sight, but so far there hasn't been any sign of that particular instinct making an appearance anytime soon. Do you have any words of wisdom that you're willing to pass along? I'm open to any suggestions on getting my husband to do his part.

Sorry to dump on all of you, but I'm desperate for a change, so thank you all for taking the time to read my rantings, I promise this won't become a regular occurance.

2 comments:

Corin said...

Sorry I'm not help. My husband and I are duling neat freaks. We have lots of ridiculous fights over the proper way to do things because we both think we know. Hope it gets better. Just tell him you need help and since he married you that makes it his job. Tell him to either start helping or higher you a maid. I don't know that that will work but it's all I got.

Andrea Frederick said...

My husband is a lot the same...I usually take it all and dump it on his side of the bed, or put it away and then when he asks where it is...don't answer. Mature, huh? Also, look forward to teaching your son to help out, that does usually change Dad, b/c he wants to set a good example. Good luck!