Animated Banner

Photobucket

Thursday, March 12, 2009

So Uncertain...

I hate not knowing what to do. I thought I had my mind pretty much made up, now I'm not sure which way to go. I guess I'll pose this question to all my "mommy friends" out there, maybe you'll have some thoughts on the subject.

The center that I'm doctoring at for all my prenatal care doesn't offer the 3D/4D ultrasounds. They only have the capabilities of performing the standard 2D diagnostic scans. I had that done during my 18th week, and everything checked out all right. However, I really wanted the 3D/4D scan done, not because I'm worried about any health risks with the baby, I just wanted it as a souvenir/keepsake. (I mean, it's taken us over 7 years to come up with this one, who knows if we'll be able to come up with another one - eventually). I located a place a little over an hour drive from us (in Overland Park), that offers exactly what I'm wanting done. They would prefer that you have a script from your doctor, but in a pinch will take copies of your last ultrasound as proof you're under the care of another physician. I approached my doctor about having this done, and she practically blew up over the issue. You'd have thought that I told her I wanted to go sky diving or bungee jumping!!! She had a whole list of reasons: "the people who offer such services are not trained"; "that type of scan heats up the tissues, and therefore the baby, and they don't know what kind of effect that can have", and on - and on.

My problem is, I've done everything that she has recommended, ordered, wanted - whatever. No questions asked, and believe me, she's wanted a lot of stuff done due to our previous issues/complications (which have since straightened themselves out). This is the one thing that I really wanted done, and now she's making me feel guilty for wanting this one thing. She is so opposed to it, she flat out refused to write the script that they are wanting, that is when I found out that they would take the previous ultrasound photos as proof instead. I've known a few other people that have had them done, and it didn't cause any problems with the remainder of their pregnancies, and their babies turned out just fine.

Did any of you have this done? Do you have any thoughts on the subject? I have one scheduled towards the end of April (I'd be 28 weeks then), but if I think it is dangerous, I would cancel prior to that. I know that they aren't actually offered in this hospital, but they are actually offered in some hospitals around the country. I'm just having trouble convincing myself that if there was actually a risk that they would be offered in any hospital.
I just don't know what to do, so any thoughts/comments on the subject would be gladly received.

6 comments:

Angie said...

I had the 3D/4D ultrasound done with Ava. The doctor's office had the new machine and was wanting people to test it out on. I jumped at the chance. I doubt I would have had it done if it wasn't offered to us for free. Not that I was afraid of any risks just because I didn't want to spend the money on that. But it was pretty amazing. I was only 15 weeks at the time so it didn't show that much. They actually told us she was a boy from that one. I don't think there are any more risks from the 3D then the regular kind. I would suggest waiting until you are further along. I have seen some where they are a couple months from being born and they are pretty amazing. If this is something you really want I wouldn't let your dr. hold you back. Good Luck on making the decision.

Amy said...

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. Mine is scheduled for 28 weeks, and I've now decided, that it is obviously what I want, and I don't mind the cost, so I'm not going to let my doctor sway my decision. I really don't feel she's given me a good enough reason not to go through with it. Anyway, thanks for sharing Angie.

Corin said...

I didn't have this done because it honestly never occured to me. I wanted to tell you that my bosses daughter had it done and she was a very high risk pregnancy. She has a pace maker and was advised not to get pregnant at all but did it anyway. She had a 3D/4D ultrasound done at about 20 weeks. I don't think they would have let her get one if they were concerned about the effects on her or the baby. Sounds like you've already made up your mind but I thought that might help to ease your mind.

Amy said...

That actually makes me feel a whole lot better about my decision. Thanks for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

Amy, I had a 3D done like Angie...when I was pregnant with twins..just b/c the hossy was trying it out to see if htey wanted to get the machine...I WAS PREGO WITH TWINS AND THEY DID IT. Although I had no problems I was still considered semi-high risk b/c of it being twins..so if u want it done go for it!!!! They are very neat. And to my surprise...not sure why i was suprised about it..but Madison looked exactly like the image I got of her..it was awesome !!!! GO FOR IT!!! AND YOU BETTER POST THE PICS!!! :) :):)

Andrea Frederick said...

Amy~ I don't think this was available when I was pregnant, but a friend of mine drove 4 hours to have it done and she found out she was having a boy instead of a girl! It sounds like it's safe and if it means a lot to you, then it's worth it! Good luck!