Animated Banner

Photobucket

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Any Ideas/Suggestions...

Alright, I'll admit it (in case you didn't already know), I'm kind of a blog stalker. I follow what you all post, but quite frankly haven't had anything to write about or the time to do it even if I did have something. Thus the reason that it has been almost a full two months since my last post. I may get better at this one day, but oh well, on to what I need help with.

I'm looking for any ideas from you BTDT moms as to meal suggestions/planning for a 13 month old. I don't know at this point if he is just a picky eater or if it has something to do with the texture/consistency of certain foods that is the problem, but it is really hard to get him to eat. Things he eats really well are:
  • Grilled Cheese
  • Bread & Butter/Biscuits
  • Chicken Nuggets
  • Mashed/Baked Potato
  • Pancakes
  • Pudding/Yogurt
  • Cheese Pizza Rolls
  • Applesauce
I would love to get him to eat other things, and I DO keep offering/trying other foods, he just isn't going for any of them at this time. You can't get him to eat any type of vegetables or pasta. Other than nuggets, he won't eat any type of meat either.

I've tried meatloaf, hamburgers, fish, spaghetti, macaroni & cheese, sliced ham, hot dogs, bacon and so on; all a no go.

I still can't get him to eat his veggies, but we may be getting a little closer on that front. Before he would not even try them, then he would play with them (squeeze them between his fingers), now he will put one piece in his mouth, chew it a little, then spit it back out. No actual eating, but closer now than we were before.

So, is this normal for this age that they latch on to a few particular items and won't do anything else? Can you break them of it or does it have to be in their own time? Some of this could be due to teeth. The 1 year molar area has been swollen for quite a while now, but hasn't broken on thru yet. In your experience, did your children not eat as well during that time?

I'm just looking for any ideas/suggestions, I'm open to anything if it gets him eating better than he is right now, so any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

2 comments:

Corin said...

Levi also hated meat of any kind. He's just now getting better about it. He loved spaghetti. I really think the best advice is just to keep offering. I read somewhere that it may be the 10th time that you offer something that kids will try it. Once we could reason a little with Levi, we started making deals. For example: "You have to eat 3 bites of spaghetti before you can have applesauce." This still works for us. I don't recommend getting into standoffs with him about eating. From my experience it doesn't work and you both just get frustrated. We still tell tales about the great carrot stand off of 2008. Good Luck.

Rebecca said...

Delainey was and still is a picky eater! I am a food hider! I take any opportunity to mix a little healthy something in where ever I can....sweet potatoes are easy to do that with...in pancakes, french toast, anything with sauce. Also the yellow squash puree is easy to hide with anything cheesy. I bet he would like burritos (hide a little ground beef in the beans) and pasta....mac and cheese is an easy hiding food!!! I agree with Corin.....it's not worth getting stressed over and keep trying things over and over. Delainey still wont eat peas....unless we call them baseballs. And she wont eat a hamburger unless we call it a meat ball. Sometimes its all about the presentation!!! KIDS!!!!